About Ficus carica - Fig varieties

Всичко за смокините
lukeott
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

About Ficus carica - Fig varieties

Непрочетено мнение от lukeott » 22 авг 2012, 22:41

Hello All, My name is Luke and this is my first post. I live in USA in climate zone 7 the state of New Jersey. I'm very excited to be able to post here. Very interested in fig trees(ficus carica). I have not seen these varieties before 1.Izmir 2. Greek 3. Michurinsk 10 . Any fig tree that can handle temps 10 degrees or colder gets my attention. Would like to know where the stock(scion) originated from or plant. With this information, it will make it easier for me to locate scion. I look forward to reading and posting here.

Luke

Потребителски аватар
Kiril Donov
Engineer-agronomist, Master in Tropical and Subtropical Agriculture (Инженер-агроном, Магистър по Тропично и Субтропично Земеделие), founder of Nursery Palm Center - Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Регистриран: 09 авг 2009, 12:48
Район: Асеновград (над инверсиите)
Надморска височина (m): 395
USDA zone: 8b
Абсолютна минимална t° (°C): -15.2 since 1995
Минимум последна зима (°C): -8.2 (Jan 8, 2019)
Любимо растение: Кокосова палма, Cocos nucifera
Любим плод: Durian - The King of all fruits
Любим климат: Екваториален (Humid Equatorial)
Метеостанция: https://www.stringmeteo.com/stations/pa ... index.html

Re: About Ficus carica - Fig varieties

Непрочетено мнение от Kiril Donov » 22 авг 2012, 22:51

Hi Luke,
Welcome on board!
Are you just looking for scions or cuttings? This is the right place to ask, I'm sure that you have other varieties, so we can exchange cuttings, if you are interested.

Durian addicted (Durian is the King of all fruits)

lukeott

Непрочетено мнение от lukeott » 23 авг 2012, 00:41

Hello Kiril, Yes I am looking for cuttings of your varieties. I'm sure, I have some that will do well for you. I will have to do a little studying about your climate to suggest proper figs. If you send me your location, town or city will do. I understand zone 7b, but will have to learn about how much rain and a few other things. Plant material with soil' will not make it threw customs. They use dogs to sniff out soil or any type of growing media. So cuttings(scion) will be the best way to go. If you have problems growing cuttings, i will help with instuctions. please forgive me if you know how, do not mean to affend. I have a few methods, and all seems to work really well. As always , thanks for your time.

Luke

Потребителски аватар
Kiril Donov
Engineer-agronomist, Master in Tropical and Subtropical Agriculture (Инженер-агроном, Магистър по Тропично и Субтропично Земеделие), founder of Nursery Palm Center - Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Непрочетено мнение от Kiril Donov » 23 авг 2012, 06:17

Luke,
growing figs from cuttings is quite easy.
About your varieties, just give us a hint about what you have in your collection, then we can choose. I have more than 20 varieties in my collection, most are very interesting. I'm interested in Californian Brown Turkey, which I used to have, but I accidentaly lost it a few years ago.
The climate in Bulgaria is hot and dry in summer and freezing cold in winter. So most figs grow well here, if planted on a slope, away from the valleys, but the more tender varieties still freeze to the ground occasionally.

lukeott

Непрочетено мнение от lukeott » 23 авг 2012, 19:04

Kiril, I have many figs, to many to list. I can give a few names to start that are cold hardy and very good tasting.
Malta Black, Sal's Gene Strain, Sal's Corleon, Marseilles VS Black, Hardy Chicago, Stella, Adriatic JH, Battaglia Green, Gino's, Violette de Bordeaux, Kathleen Black, LSU Scott's Black, Tacoma Violett. All these figs will with stand the cold in winter monthes if protected. If tree is grown in a bush form it is much better. After 6 or 7 years they will no longer need protection, as the root system and trunks of tree will become stong enough to survive. The major problem in USA is fig trees that come from UC Davis California are infected and are very weak, so I avoid getting stock from them. Their stock is okay for very good climate, but if growing in climate zones like ours, they will not survive in ground growing. I do not have California Brown Turkey in my collection, but I can get it very easily for you if this is one you seek.

Luke

Потребителски аватар
Kiril Donov

Непрочетено мнение от Kiril Donov » 23 авг 2012, 22:11

Luke,
if you have intentions to participate to this forum for a longterm, would you please edit your profile, so everyone here could see where you are from, what zone you are in or any other information, that you might decide to enter.

I think that my fig collection is probably the biggest one around here, but I really can't identify my varieties like you do, I'm affraid. I have collected most of them from gardens or people in the countries around the Mediterranean, or other countries like UK, California or Hungary. When I spot a good fruiting fig variety I try to obtain a cutting and this is how most of my varieties were collected.
You already blocked my mind by listing so many varieties, most of which I've never heard of. But still, just for curiosity, if you have a list of your varieties, it would be very educational for us if you don't mind posting it here.

My most favourite varieties at the moment (from my garden), that I could also recommend to you are:
1. The Izmir fig;
2. The black one, that originates from a seedling in my garden;
3. A yellow one, with excellen taste of fruits and HUGE leaves (the size of the tropical bread-tree leaves, if you know what I mean), I obtained this one from Thassoss island (Greece) a year ago, so still no winter experience. The leaves are up to 2 feet long and wide - this is an exceptionally robust variety;
4. The yellow one, with a probable Greek origin again, this is the one that outperformed even Michurinska 10 during the last winter. Well, just in my garden.
5. And of course, the legendary Michurinska 10, the local Bulgarian fig variety, that grows everywhere and can withstand freezes as cold as -5 F, sometimes with no real damages at all (This information is according to our Agricultural university).

Most of the other fig varieties in my collection, freeze to the ground almost each winter.

lukeott

Непрочетено мнение от lukeott » 24 авг 2012, 03:26

Kiril, I will do my best to add things to my profile, but my computer skills are very weak. I have only used a computer the last couple of years without any teachings, so I am limited of what I can do. I can not post any pictures without one of my sons help. As for figs, any fig tree that can with stand cold winters and has a closed eye, I want. This Michurinska 10 fig, I have read about this one but getting more information seems difficult. I have the understanding that there were 3 or 4 figs that were growing in that region and being studied. The city was Michurin of old and now is Tsarevo. The only name that I can find is Michurinska 10. Do you know of this and other figs? I have searched and searched to find the study and come up with nothing.

Luke

Потребителски аватар
Kiril Donov

Непрочетено мнение от Kiril Donov » 24 авг 2012, 06:33

When Serafimova made that first (and only) study of the fig varieties in Bulgaria, she described more than 40 varieties. That was more than 30-40 years ago, that's why there is nothing online about it.

lukeott

Непрочетено мнение от lukeott » 24 авг 2012, 16:44

Do you know of this list Of 40 names? Or where i might find more on this study? I think this study is very important, and could learn a great deal. If a book was published the name will be great.

Luke

zone 7

Потребителски аватар
Бобсъна
Ветеран във форума с много опит
Регистриран: 19 фев 2011, 12:21
Район:

Непрочетено мнение от Бобсъна » 24 авг 2012, 17:10

Бе той Пламен я има книгата на Серафимова.....ама не ще да я сканира и качи у нетя.... <rock> <rock> <rock> <cheers2> <cheers2> <cheers2>

Изображение

lukeott

Непрочетено мнение от lukeott » 25 авг 2012, 04:05

Could someone kindly translate for me. I do not know what the last post says, thank you.

luke

lukeott

Непрочетено мнение от lukeott » 25 авг 2012, 04:37

Kiril, I have never put a written list together of all the figs I have. I know I should, but I am always adding new fig trees. I went to a friends house today to help with putting up a greenhouse and he gave me 6 new types. To be honest, I would have to go outside and read the labels to know their names. The next time one of my sons come for a visit, I will have them take some pictures of many trees and post. Most of my trees are young and in pots, in the spring I'll plant many in the ground. Here are a few more names of fig trees I have.
Black Greek, Black Portuguese,Florea, Green Ischia, Sweet George, Celeste, Alma, St. Anthony marseilles, King, Italian 258, Brown Greek, Sicilian Red, Violette, San Piero, Nero.

luke

Потребителски аватар
Kiril Donov

Непрочетено мнение от Kiril Donov » 25 авг 2012, 06:08

Luke,
I've been very busy yesterday, just leaving on vacation now. I have no idea if there will be internet in our hotel, which we should reach in 2 days. If not, please be patient until I return in 8-9 days.

lukeott

Непрочетено мнение от lukeott » 25 окт 2012, 02:39

Потребителски аватар
Kiril Donov

Непрочетено мнение от Kiril Donov » 25 окт 2012, 11:57

Nice Fig nursery you've got there!
I see your property is large enough, why are all Figs in pots? I grow Figs to be able to pick their fruits, that's the pleasure. I would lose all of it, if my Figs are in pots.

Отговори